Words of Wisdom

"I want someone/ to read these words /and understand me/ for just one second/so I'm not alone/ with my thoughts."
-Christy Ann Martine

"Don't forget- no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell."
-Charles de Lint


Labels

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Creamed Spinach


The kitchen smelled of simmering cauliflower
 and soap suds.
As you hovered over the steaming pan,
I was elbow deep in citrus bubbles.
You pulled a blue ceramic bowl from the microwave
filled with steaming green goop.

My nose wrinkled
at its seaweedy strangeness.
I sloshed the sludge around with my spoon.
“Grandma, we really eat this stuff?”

You just stirred the cauliflower,
powdered blue t-shirt shaking with your shoulders.
“People find strength in the strangest things.”

I dipped my finger into the buttery slime,
pressed it to my tongue, and swallowed.
I smiled up at you with green leaflets,




When the cancer caught hold of your lungs,
that ceramic bowl sat steaming on the dinner table.
You were still Grandma,
and I was a green giant.

When its tendrils twined their way into your brain,
I saw the filmy soap suds in your clouded vision.
The ceramic bowl lay empty in the cupboard
gathering dust.



1 comment: