Words of Wisdom

"I want someone/ to read these words /and understand me/ for just one second/so I'm not alone/ with my thoughts."
-Christy Ann Martine

"Don't forget- no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell."
-Charles de Lint


Labels

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I stole a wildflower from the Neighbor's garden

I stole a wildflower from the Neighbor’s garden

and plopped it into a terra cotta pot.
I packed in grainy, mineral salted soil
by the coffee spoon and demanded:
grow.

Grow away from the green zebra grass whipped yellow,
Thrive in the loamy earth encased by man-spun clay,
where no other flower can tickle your finger frond leaves;
away from the guarding shade of the cobblestone wall
put in place to keep intruders out.

It was when your green hands began to wrinkle that I leaned closer;
Your bright waxy luster replaced with liver-spotted grief,
an arthritic kink in the once proud, tall stem
your six white petals were eyes defeated;
wracked by indigo tears sputtering down like autumn’s frigid rain.

I returned you home then, wildflower
I planted you in the crater I stole you from,
restoring you once more to the zebra grass, the cobblestone wall,
and the neighbor, of course.

Your wrinkles darkened brown
like the coffee-stained spoon I killed you with.
The other flowers? They were crying too
while the zebra grass rustled a funeral hymn.



No comments:

Post a Comment