Words of Wisdom

"I want someone/ to read these words /and understand me/ for just one second/so I'm not alone/ with my thoughts."
-Christy Ann Martine

"Don't forget- no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell."
-Charles de Lint


Labels

Monday, June 2, 2014

My Cousin Shows His New Tattoo after Easter Dinner

“You only are immortal, the creator and maker of mankind;
and we are mortal, formed of the earth, and to earth shall we
return. For so did you ordain when you created me, saying,
"You are dust, and to dust you shall return." All of us go down
to the dust; yet even at the grave we make our song: Alleluia,
alleluia, alleluia” -
The Book of Common Prayer, 1928.

I peeled charcoaled red cotton away from your back,
exposing the angry, sunburnt skin
blotted with three tender bruises.

Dust to Dust addressed your sculpted shoulder blades,
in jagged calligraphy. 
You flinched while I circled my fingers
over each crossed t.

How much would you suffer to bear them?

No comments:

Post a Comment