Words of Wisdom

"I want someone/ to read these words /and understand me/ for just one second/so I'm not alone/ with my thoughts."
-Christy Ann Martine

"Don't forget- no one else sees the world the way you do, so no one else can tell the stories that you have to tell."
-Charles de Lint


Labels

Monday, June 2, 2014

Rubber Rafts and Turtle-Catching Aunts

You lifted your squinted eyes from weedy patches
that crawled from the water like curling tentacles.

Squished into the corner, of the banana yellow boat
for one,
her foot rested inches from my nose.
Toes exposed and wiggly, knees knocked elbows, nets, and oars.
You found comfort hiding in the tangled maze of limbs,
while my hunched back squeezed a bubble
into the boat’s already-bloating butt.

“Hush child! They’ll hear you!
Look for the shells!”

Turtle shells, like yours, swirl green,
like segmented stained glass pentagon plates.

Tightened by the bun on the top of her head,
Aunt Denise’s magnifying eyes found critters
nobody could see.
Red-eared and wide-eyed,
quarter-sized you tumbled down
the hole-punched net.
.
Crawling over limbs with pinchy nails
Your baby beak and too-big head roamed
resting limbs and curved yellow walls.

Aunty D. shushed my tickled squeals as the turtle feet trekked over my toes,
and shunned you, brave enough to scale her leg.

She dropped us off on the soggy pier by the house.
I stood stiff and achy,
you wiggled between my fingers,
and she rowed away.

 Irritated and alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment